1. Connect Your Data
Learn to connect your data sources – e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Google, LinkedIn, etc. – to Google Data Studio in a matter of seconds, the first step to automate reports and dashboards on Google’s BI tool.
While Porter shows the process with our Facebook Ads connector, it works the same for most data sources.
- You can use any data source from the Google Data Studio connector library, but, for this exercise, Porter encourages you to use its Facebook Ads connector
- You need to authenticate your Gmail account.
- Then, log in to the app you want to connect
- Choose an account.
- Set up some parameters (depending on the data source)
- And connect
2. Building dashboards
Learn to ask and answer questions with data by choosing metrics (a numerical value) and dimensions (the breakdowns) on Google Data Studio that you can visualize by using:
- Time series
- Pie charts and bar charts
- And more.
3. Styling and Branding
Get to know some of the ways to customize the styling of your Google Data Studio dashboards by:
- Changing the background’s color
- Customizing canvas size
- Copying and pasting styles across elements
- Making elements report-level
4. Add Custom Formulas
Understand why Business Intelligence and data visualization tools overcome basic reporting tools. It comes down to have the flexibility to calculate your own metrics and formulas with the ease of Google Sheets and the power of SQL.
In this case, Porter will calculate the cost per conversion and frequency. You will also learn how to create time dimensions so you can visualize your data over time by date, week, day of the week, month, and so on.
5. Share Your Reports
Google Data Studio offers multiple options to let you share your reports with your customers and team by:
- Downloading a PDF
- Embedding your reports on your website
- Sharing a link
- Scheduling automated emails
- Restricting or allowing access to users’ emails
- Facebook Ads
- Instagram Insights
- Facebook Insights, Comments, Groups, Leads (coming soon)
- Messenger (coming soon)
- Google My Business (coming soon)
- LinkedIn (coming soon)
- Shopify (coming soon)
- Many others coming soon too!